The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for a Desktop Engineer I to join our Technical Services & Support Team. As a Desktop Engineer I, you are the face of IT at Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association!
You are passionate about serving customers and providing a great user experience. You are accountable for what you do and are willing to take personal ownership of your work. Your organizational and prioritization skills allow you to adjust to rapidly changing priorities. Self-driven to learn and stay abreast of technological trends, you bring value to the team through your ideas and recommendations. You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills that allow you to relate to both technical and non-technical audiences. You are the go-to person for computer hardware and software needs, providing a positive user experience for all WFAA employees. You work on a team whose day fills up with a variety of troubleshooting and solving technical challenges to expanding our technology portfolio and services by working on various project initiatives.
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30A-5:30P
Customer Service and Support
- Provide Help Desk coverage; responds to and logs incoming inquiries, independently triages tickets to appropriate support groups.
- Troubleshoots to resolution incidents and requests with varying degrees of technical complexity.
- Responsible for coordination and execution of technology moves associated with office reorganizations and/or individual staff moves.
- Provide support for staff across multiple locations on a rotational basis as well as a large number of mobile users.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for after-hours support.
- May be required to work off hours for planned and unplanned events related to infrastructure support.
Endpoint Administration and Engineering
- Participates and/or leads small to mid-sized internal technical projects following project management methodologies.
- Install, configure, and deploy computers, peripherals and mobile devices across all WFAA and campus locations.
- Create, test, and deploy computer images using Windows Deployment Server (WDS) or other deployment tools.
- Manage fleet of multi-functional devices across all WFAA locations.
- Performs application installs and upgrades through manual processes and/or use of pre-defined install packages through automation tools.
- Perform administrative functions for asset management, remote assistance, and multi-functional device tools.
- Maintain inventory of all company technology assets.
- Create, test, and deploy Windows patches using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Research and deploy security updates for a variety of applications based on vulnerability assessments.
- Utilize security-based tools and processes to conduct forensics on workstations in the event of a security incident.
End User Training and Communication
- Delivers technical training to new hires and/or existing staff on a variety of technologies available at WFAA.
- Creates technical communication in the form of intranet posts, knowledgebase articles, and email.
- Demonstrates a strong technical background supporting Microsoft products and a variety of applications.
- 2+ years’ experience supporting and troubleshooting:
- Intel-based computers running Windows OS (through Windows 10)
- Apple iPhones & iPads
- Computer peripherals, VoIP physical/soft phones, video conferencing
- Audio/visual technologies
- Printers and/or multi-functional devices
- Microsoft Office suite of products
- Help Desk ticketing systems
- MacIntosh computers running Mac OS, a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel in a creative and engaging manner.
- Strong initiative; takes accountability for work assignments and is able to work both independently using individual judgement and minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; can adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
- Experience writing technical material to non-technical audiences
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. This is a non-exempt position requiring 40 hours per week. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.