The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for a Desktop Engineer to join our Technical Services & Support Team. As a Desktop Engineer, you are the face of IT at Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association! Our customers are important to us. You are passionate about serving customers and providing a great user experience. You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills that allow you to relate to both technical and non-technical audiences.
In this role, you take on more of the complex technical challenges, are involved in leading project initiatives, and play a critical role in the management of our security framework for endpoint protection, participate in security incident investigations and the collection and processing of forensic evidence. In addition, you are involved in administrating various tools that help with securing our technologies, workflow management, patch management, and deployment services.
You are accountable for what you do and are willing to take personal ownership of your work. You demonstrate strong organizational and prioritization skills that allow you to adjust to rapidly changing priorities. Self-driven to learn and stay abreast of technological trends, you bring value to the team through your ideas and recommendations
Customer Service and Support
- Provide Help Desk coverage; responds to and logs incoming inquiries, independently triages tickets to appropriate support groups.
- Troubleshoots more complex tickets and problems and serves as an escalation point for peers.
- Provide support for staff across multiple locations on a rotational basis as well as a large number of mobile users.
- Makes recommendations for process improvements and standards that help the greater good of the team.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for after-hours support.
- Required to work off hours for planned and unplanned events related to infrastructure support.
Endpoint Administration and Engineering
- Participates and/or leads mid to large sized internal technical projects following project management methodologies.
- Install, configure, and deploy computers, peripherals and mobile devices across all WFAA locations and campus locations.
- Performs administrative functions for Windows Deployment Server (WDS), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), and other tools as defined.
- Administrates ticketing system used across various business units in the organization, including the backend configuration to support various business workflows.
- Designs and configures endpoint technologies to support business needs.
- Create, test, and deploy Windows patches using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Research, plan, and deploy vulnerability patches, software security updates.
- Participates on company’s incident response team (IRT); analyzes and translates security and system logs, performs security forensics on workstations, reports detailed findings and recommendation.
- Researches and implements security tools and processes to expand security portfolio.
- Associates degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cyber Security or related field or equivalent professional work experience.
- 4 + years experience in IT support and troubleshooting
- 2+ years’ experience in implementation, supporting, and managing security-related tools and processes.
- Security+, CISSP, or other information security certifications and/or completed coursework desirable, but not required.
- 4 + years’ experience in hands-on computer support for a variety of endpoint devices.
- 2 + years’ experience in hands-on work associated with using forensic and security tools, developing security policies and processes, and participating and/or leading incident response efforts.
- Demonstrates a strong technical background supporting Microsoft products and a variety of applications.
- Experience administrating application deployment tools and other endpoint security and management tools.
- Efficient working in an environment that requires the balance of working on support and project initiatives at the same time.
- Works well with a diverse team and customers.
- Has a passion for learning and taking on opportunities for growth.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.