The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA), the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is seeking a web developer to join our Digital Marketing team. This position is responsible for developing custom web solutions and consults on emerging web technologies, informing our digital strategy. This role supports website CMS platforms and WFAA efforts in digital channels through technical solutions.
As a Digital Solutions Developer at WFAA you’ll be part of a team building and maintaining WFAA’s websites and web applications. You will work closely with other developers, designers, and UX specialists to develop user interfaces. You should have a keen eye for detail and a strong sense of code integrity and organization. In this role, you’ll not only develop new functionality to meet requirements, but you will support existing digital products and ensure solutions follow WFAA’s brand standards for intuitive, accessible, and well-designed user experiences. You will need to have a solid understanding of component-based development and be able to convert designs into responsive and semantic products. WFAA’s developers are committed to continuously learning and aren’t afraid of solving a challenging problem with solutions we haven’t previously explored.
This is a full-time position receiving assignments/direction from the Senior Digital Solutions Developer and reporting to the Associate Vice President of Digital Marketing.
Please note: This position can be filled as a Digital Solutions Developer I or II level, depending on skills and experience.
- In collaboration with the Digital Marketing and IT colleagues, maintain existing WFAA websites and develop new web solutions as required.
- Develop custom web applications to deliver the best online experience for UW-Madison alumni and donors.
- Collaborate with vendors to create and maintain technical solutions for WFAA websites.
- Collaborate with IT’s application development group to design and deliver high quality web applications.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding and practice of responsive web design techniques and security protocols. Employ these as part of Marketing and IT web project teams.
- Maintain and promote a high standard of design, usability and accessibility for web content.
Digital Platform Management
- Serve as a technical consultant for project teams developing digital experiences.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with websites.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop highly usable digital experiences on WFAA websites, web applications and other digital channels.
- Collaborate with other Digital Marketing team members to ensure web content is regularly audited for timeliness and accuracy.
- Conceptualize new and innovative ways to leverage existing and emerging technologies to advance WFAA’s goals.
- Monitor and analyze web analytics and traffic patterns as necessary to ensure that websites and web applications are operating effectively.
- In conjunction with IT system administrators, administer the back-end functionality of WordPress websites ensuring the platform, plugins and related technologies are leveraged effectively and properly maintained.
- In conjunction with colleagues, manage the Digital Marketing team’s code repositories. Maintain WordPress content management systems, site architecture and standards across multiple sites.
- Collaborate with WFAA and campus colleagues to develop effective strategies for communication and marketing goals/conversion through WFAA’s websites.
- Consult and collaborate with colleagues on best practices, technical implementations and business practices related to website management and architecture.
- Research and advise on latest technologies. Pilot new technologies as appropriate.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- 1 + years of demonstrated experience developing websites in a professional context.
- Experience with HTML and CSS skills.
- Experience integrating front-end templates with back-end functionality
- Experience working with Git and code repositories such as Bitbucket.
- Experience managing WordPress websites including site and user administration, plugin development, plugin management/testing, upgrade/regression testing.
- Experience developing custom, secure PHP web applications and WordPress templates.
- Experience developing solutions for WordPress websites including site and user administration, plugin development, plugin management/testing, upgrade/regression testing considered beneficial, but not required.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze communications problems from the perspective of how the web and other technologies may be used to help solve them.
- Demonstrated desire to learn new things.
- Creative, team-oriented, client focused with strong problem-solving skills. Adaptable to changing priorities. Familiarity with security-oriented development methodologies. Proven ability to work well with colleagues in creative and marketing roles and accept direction from supervisors.
- Experience with the higher education environment or other complex organizations.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. This is a non-exempt position requiring 40 hours per week. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.