History of WFAA

Supporting the UW for more than a century.

Building a Legacy of Alumni Support

In 2014, the Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA) merged with the UW Foundation to form the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA). As one organization, we provide a unified effort to engage alumni and friends who support and celebrate the UW. WFAA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the University of Wisconsin–Madison.

Our organization is deeply rooted in UW–Madison traditions. Both WAA and the UW Foundation were founded by alumni. Today we continue to operate separately from the UW, and honor our founders’ intentions to help our great public research university thrive.

Timeline

1848

Univerity of Wisconsin is founded.

1861

Charles Wakeley, a member of the UW’s first graduating class, brings together 40 fellow alumni to found the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

1865

Governor James Lewis makes the first gift to the University of Wisconsin: $100.

1877

Cadwallader Washburn, regent and former governor, gives the first major gift to the university: $43,000 to build and furnish an observatory overlooking Lake Mendota.

1899

The first issue of the UW’s alumni magazine — today’s On Wisconsin — is published.

1907

Alumni help found the Wisconsin Union, one of the first college unions in the nation and second only to Harvard’s union.

1908

William Freeman Vilas, former regent and law professor, leaves more than $1.8 million to the university in his will. The Vilas Trust is formed, which has since given millions to the university.

1928

Construction of Memorial Union is completed as a result of the first organized fund drive.

1945

UW donors and leaders form a Gifts and Bequests Council “to encourage the growing practice of making gifts to the university.” The council officially becomes known as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.

1945

In its first year, the Foundation receives $95,378 from fewer than 1,000 donors.

1948

The University of Wisconsin launches its first capital campaign, coordinated around the university’s centennial. It raises $5 million to expand lower campus.

1956

The first annual fundraising campaign is organized.

1963

The second capital campaign begins. It ultimately raises $3.5 million to build the Elvehjem (later Chazen) Museum of Art.

1965

The President’s Club is organized to recognize major donors to the university. It becomes the Bascom Hill Society in 1977.

1967

Alumni build the Wisconsin Alumni House on Lake Mendota.

1971

The University of Wisconsin System is formed. UW-Madison remains its flagship campus.

1975

The City of Madison creates State Street Mall, completing the Library Mall envisioned by UW Foundation executive director William Hagenah Sr. in 1945.

1978

The university’s first comprehensive campaign — Forward with Wisconsin — raises $18 million over four years for projects such as the Southeast Recreational Facility and the new UW Hospital and Clinics facility.

1984

The Chancellor’s Scholarship Program is established, providing private support to increase educational opportunities for underrepresented minority groups at UW-Madison.

1999

UW–Madison celebrates it 150th anniversary.

2000

The university’s third comprehensive campaign — Create the Future — raises $1.86 billion over six years for campus priorities and new building projects.

2002

The Wisconsin Partnership Program is created with $300 million from the conversion of Blue Cross & Blue Shield United of Wisconsin.

2007

An $85 million “no-name” gift from a partnership of 13 alumni preserves the name of UW-Madison’s business school as the Wisconsin School of Business.

2012

The Van Hise Society is formed to honor donors whose lifetime gifts exceed $1 million.

2014

The UW Foundation merges with the Wisconsin Alumni Association, forming the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association.

2014

Alumni John and Tashia Morgridge commit $100 million in matching funds to encourage other donors to establish endowed faculty chairs and professorships. The matching challenge is met and exceeded in seven months, raising a total of $250 million.

2015

Alumni Ab and Nancy Nicholas commit $50 million in matching funds to establish student scholarships and fellowships.

2015

All Ways Forward — the university’s fourth comprehensive campaign — is launched with emphasis on faculty support, student support, the educational experience, and pushing the boundaries of knowledge.

2017

Alumni Park opens. The park features museum-quality exhibits, a visitor center (One Alumni Place), lakefront access, and the Goodspeed Family Pier.